Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Here, Kitty-Kitty

A sad thing happened this weekend. One of our cats ran away. We've had her for several years, she was a warm and comforting and friendly part of the family.

It's been a week since we have seen her and the kids were crying about it. I was crying too, just a little. Between solemn tears I figured it was important to soothe the kids because that's what dads do.

So much of the angst with a lost cat is that you don't know what happened to it. You worry and worry that it was hit by a car or just ran off.

"Kids, I saw an eagle swoop down and eat your cat. You should have taken better care of her."

My youngest asked me, "Do you think she's in heaven?"

"No, sweetie, you didn't love her enough. Plus she's Jewish."

Oh, sure...they cried some more but I think they felt better knowing what happened to Ruth.