Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Song Play

There is this song that I used to really like... something about I've got some real estate here in my bag! About these two young lovers touring the United States--or somewhere--in a bus.

I was singing it to myself the other day when I ran across something that didn't quite fit.

Pass me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat.
We smoked the last one an hour ago....

Wait, wait, wait, wait..what do you mean we smoked the last one an hour ago? I only had like one drag. You hogged the whole fucking thing. Now we're on a bus for the next god knows how long and we don't have any smokes. Plus I'm out of money, I spent all the damn money buying these tickets. You'll have to cough up for the next pack... and go easy on them, next time.

What do you mean I'll have to buy them? I don't have any money. I told you I was broke when we started this trip. This was all your idea. "Oh, let's get on a bus and drive around the country and just live." Bullshit. What happened to "real estate here in my bag?"

That was a metaphor! A metaphor! I was talking about how our love could survive anything because we have each other and these meagre belongings.

Well fuck that. I want off.

I hate you. Mother was right.

That...makes more sense to me, now that I think about it.